When it comes to renovating your kitchen, cabinetry is often the biggest investment. Cabinets have a huge influence on the overall appearance and functionality of your kitchen and are likely to get the maximum attention when you walk inside. Therefore, there are several considerations to make before purchasing.
It’s one of the most important decisions to make when choosing kitchen cabinets because it’s the most visible part of your kitchen cabinetry. There are many door style profiles available to choose from. Whether you choose shaker cabinets, louvered or flat cabinets, it should reflect the style and ease-of-use that you want to achieve for your kitchen.
- Shaker Cabinets: This is the most common and popular door styles used in modern kitchens these days. It comes with a five-piece flat-panel style. The fifth piece has a single flat centre panel. They come in various wood species, colours, stains, and hardware. This cabinet style is versatile and fits in perfectly with all kinds of decor. The cost depends on the type and quality of wood.
- Louvered Cabinets: These cabinets with horizontal wood slats add a distinct style to your kitchen. Some of these doors come with more spaces between the slats and are ideal for cabinet spaces that require ventilation like near the radiator, gas station, etc. Be aware that Louvered cabinets can be expensive.
- Flat Cabinets: They have simple flat-panel doors without much detailing. They’re a great fit for most contemporary kitchen with minimalistic furniture and decor. Flat cabinets come in both wood and laminates. Laminates make a more affordable choice if you’re on a tight budget. Flat cabinets are available in a wider variety of colours and finishes.
- Distressed Cabinets: This style is ideal if you want to achieve an antique look in your kitchen. There are several distressing techniques to bring that coveted age-old look.
- Beadboard Cabinets: If you want to give your kitchen a cottage-like makeover, then this style is what you need. These doors’ centre panels look like conventional beadboard paneling. However, it’s difficult to clean beadboard cabinet doors.
- Inset Cabinets: These doors are attached inside of the cabinet frame, unlike other door styles. They have a classic look and can last generations when properly maintained. However, they require precise measurements to function properly. This style also comes with exposed hinges. Each door needs at least two exposed hinges and it can add to your costs.
Kitchen cabinetry is available in various materials. You can choose from melamine, furniture board, plywood and wood. Plywood is a popular choice for its durability and longevity. Wood cabinets can be stained and lacquered to get a sheen finish. For a more exotic look, opt for alternative woods like bamboo or mahogany.
When you choose the colour of your cabinets, make sure to keep the colour of the backsplash, flooring, and the lighting of your kitchen in mind. Colourful kitchen cabinetry is once again in fashion. You can try out different colour palettes for your cabinetry to mix and match your kitchen decor.
After you’ve decided what type of cabinets to buy for your kitchen, spend some time to choose the hardware. The knobs and pulls of your drawers and doors will take the look and usability of your cabinets to the next level. Steel knobs, bin pulls, ceramic knobs, tubular, flat and arched bar pulls all go well with shaker style cabinets. Tubular and flat stainless steel bar pulls, recessed pulls, metal rail pulls, tab pulls, wire pulls and integrated wood pulls are ideal for flat panel cabinets.
The task of choosing your kitchen cabinetry isn’t very difficult if you’re informed during your buying process. Focus on achieving a perfect balance between look, feel, usability and your budget. If you live in Toronto, Mississauga, Ontario, Etobicoke, Brampton or Oakville, then visit our Kitchen Nation showroom in Brampton. Our wide range of kitchen cabinets is suitable for all budgets.