Kitchens are one of the most heavily trafficked areas of your home. They demand a lot of attention in terms of cleanliness because they give a character to your household. Thus, they’re the most likely room to be remodeled or renovated.
Before you dive in headfirst and invest in kitchen remodeling, it’s better to have a solid idea of what you want. Here are a few tips from our experts to help you plan your next renovation project.
- Home Décor: Take a walk through your home. Notice the most accented features of your home décor such as color combinations, fixtures, furniture, cabinets and overall layout of your new kitchen.
- Effect on Adjacent Rooms: Consider the position of the adjacent rooms and how they will be affected by the kitchen renovation or remodeling.
- Go for a Convenient Layout: Galley, L-shaped, U-shaped or island layout are the four most common layouts. The galley layout provides the most space, while the island layout provides the least. L and U shaped layouts fall between the other two. Your layout selection will determine how much space you will get for appliances and cabinets.
- Space for Movement: Avoid cluttering the area with too much cabinetry. Keep some space for free movement.
- Choose Open-shelving to Save Space: Open shelves facilitate better storage of utensils. You’ll be able to store your most frequently used kitchen items for easy retrieval.
- Compatibility: Consider which renovation layout that is compatible with the existing temperament of the room. Prevent the new look from contrasting too sharply with the unaltered spaces.
- Selection of Appliances: Keep basic appliances that are high in utility and durability. Avoid falling for trendy looks, instead invest in reliability.
- Cabinet Finish: Go for painted wood cabinets if you think you’ll get bored with the same look year after year. Be aware that stained wood will require total replacement after a few years.
- Choice of Countertops: Choose stone countertops for its long-lasting appeal and durability.
The most important thing to remember is that you cannot rush through the process. Don’t attempt a hasty reconstruction. Go slow and complete the project one phase at a time and making sure every precaution is taken.
Kitchen Nation has been in the kitchen design and renovation industry for years. If you reside in or near Brampton and are looking to transform your kitchen, then call us for a free consultation. One of our representatives will get back to you to fix an appointment.